Request for Proposal
Service Learning Project
Statement of Need
The purpose of this Rising Leaders Service Learning Project RFP is to solicit proposals from nonprofit organizations in Broward and Palm Beach counties who need assistance with mitigating or solving a present challenge within their organization. This is an excellent opportunity for an organization to address a need or complete a project for which there are limited resources available. As a component of Nonprofits First’s Rising Leaders program, organizations can expect a team of between 4-6 program candidates to work collaboratively with the organization and other professionals as needed to address the area of concern and identify possible solutions. The final product will be a professional project management presentation free of charge to the organization. Past projects have been overwhelmingly successful and met with accolades in the community. Last year’s service learning project sites included:
The Homeless Coalition of Palm Beach County - Tiny Homes Project
Grandma's Place - Volunteer Handbook; Board of Directors Orientation Manual; Sample Forms and Documents
Diabetes Coalition - Symposium Analysis
Palm Beach County Youth Services Division - Commercial/Video for Birth to 22: United for Brighter Futures program
Proposals for 2016-17 Rising Leaders Service Learning Projects are now being accepted. The completed proposal must be submitted via our website exclusively. Hard copies will not be accepted. In order for your project to be considered, submissions are due no later than 5: 00 PM on December 16, 2016. Organizations are encouraged to apply early as there are more requests than teams available, therefore, not all requests can be accepted.
Notification of Award
Decision letters will be sent via email on January 20th, 2017.
Scope of Services
Examples of acceptable service learning projects include:
- Develop and design a complete volunteer program
- Research and prepare a marketing plan for an organization, division, or program
- Develop a policies and procedures manual or handbook
- Conduct a program evaluation and prepare a report with findings
- Research and develop a disaster preparedness and recovery plan
- Develop a handbook for board members
- Redesign a space for commercial use or additional rental income
Important Participation Information
Projects begin in January and conclude each June. Final projects will be presented to the organization in an exit meeting with Nonprofits First’s Education Coordinator in attendance. The Education Coordinator will also serve as the main point contact and provide Rising Leaders with guidance and support throughout the project timeline. The organization’s primary contact person will be asked to complete a survey on the experience which includes gathering impressions on working with the Rising Leaders and project outcomes. Service learning project teams are closely supervised by the Education Coordinator and expected to dedicate between 40-80 hours over the course of five months to complete their project after receiving project management training. The service learning project team is comprised of Rising Leaders program candidates, professionals from the nonprofit community who understand firsthand the challenges of leading and managing their organizations.
Notes for Form Submission:
Provide a concise description of the proposed project or area of need to be addressed by responding to the points below:
- Project Need
- Project Purpose
- Scope of Project
- Expected Outcomes
- Financial Support - Can your organization offer any financial support towards completion of the project should any unforeseen costs arise (inspections, fees, samples, etc.)
- Sustainability - How would the organization like to see the project continue but remain sustainable beyond the initial implementation or roll out?
- Benefits - What expected benefits do you anticipate for your organization if your project is selected to be completed by a Rising Leaders team this year?
- Community Impact - Discuss the expected positive impacts to the community that will arise as a result of your engagement with Nonprofits First Rising Leaders
- Helpful Information for Consideration - Discuss any other information that would be helpful to reviewers in considering your application for selection.